Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Farm Raised Chicken from West Wind Farms

Our order from West Wind Farms in East Tennessee was delivered this past Saturday. The "free with purchase over $15" beef jerky was very good! The ingredient list was not too long and did not contain a bunch of stuff we couldn't indentify.

Some of the items were put in the freezer for later but I did put the whole chicken in the fridge to thaw. The chicken went into the crock pot around noon on Sunday covered in Penzey's Mural of Flavor spice blend and stuffed with a half a lemon and some fresh basil. I did not notice a strong odor from the chicken when I took it out of the plastic bag it was in. Normally, the chicken from the local grocery has a distinct odor that I don't find too appetizing, so I don't care to eat chicken very much. I was very pleased that the chicken did not have that same odor!

While the chicken cooked, we went out to enjoy the gorgeous weather.

When we arrived back home some 6+ hours later, the most delicious aroma greeted us at the door! I used some of the organic butter we bought from WWF and cooked onions, yellow summer squash, and zucchini in a skillet until the squashes were cooked but still firm. Although I usually steam squash, Sunday felt like a good old fashioned meal day, so I cooked 'em up in butter like my grandmother does!

We sat down to a beautiful dinner. The chicken was superb! The lemon and basil came through just perfectly and matched well with the Mural of Flavor spices. The squashes were not too mushy, which was just luck since I did not time how long they cooked.

We were very pleased with the chicken from West Wind Farms and look forward to trying the boneless pork chops with rice tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment