Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hallelujah!

My husband found organic macaroni and cheese at our local Kroger tonight! We haven't actually tried it yet, but I was in a mild state of mourning about giving up the blue box. I don't eat mac n' cheese often. It is a comfort food that I just want occasionally. Hubby doesn't care for homemade mac n' cheese so that wasn't an option. When we try the organic variety, I'll let you know how it tastes and if I can make the switch from the blue box to the organic stuff.

The real food journey is getting a little easier now that we have "sourced" which stores have what. We have discovered that the SuperTarget has the largest variety of organic produce. Our local Kroger has a large variety of organic and all natural cereals, granola, dairy, and canned goods. They also carry a small, but nice, selection of organic produce. With gas prices expected to go up, that extra $0.10/gal discount for shopping at Kroger will come in handy this summer! So, we have realized we can continue to shop at our local Kroger more often than originally expected.

We are still looking for meat options. West Wood Farms is a clear winner in taste and quality! It helps that they deliver so close to our house, too. We have found good items at Costco and SuperTarget. This week we took an exploratory trip to the Schnuck's closest to our house and found they have all natural beef, pork, and chicken. We will give those items a try.

Maybe one of the biggest things is that I cannot remember the last time I had a soft drink of any kind. It has been maybe two months?!?!?!? That is CRAZY! I am actually drinking mostly water. That is also CRAZY! I won't lie and say "I really love water now," because it wouldn't be true. I just know that I can't keep drinking sodas. I have my coffee, espresso, or latte in the morning and then drink water the rest of the day. It has to be done. So, I'm doing it.

Both the husband and I are eating more fruits than before and maybe a little more vegetables. We have not eaten a lot of fish. We are still working on that.

For now, we feel better and we sleep better. That is an improvement in our quality of life we are already enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment